Sunday, August 22, 2010

Why does Google think my website is about gardening when I'm a book designer?

I am a book designer and I just posted my portfolio online for the first time. Google had no problem finding it, but besides my name, every single keyword to find my site is gardening related. Neither my website nor my sitemap.xml file have anything to do with gardening! I haven't yet plugged in meta tags and this might correct the problem, but it seems very specific and I was wondering if anyone knew the cause of it. My website is at www.mistercliff.com and you can see Google's list of "similar" site at http://www.google.com/search?hl=en%26amp;safe=...

Why does Google think my website is about gardening when I'm a book designer?
The mysteries of Google PageRank.





No one's entirely sure how it works out some of the stuff. But here are some things that might help:





1) Try and get related sites to link to you: most of PageRank is done by who links to you. If lots of book-design sites link to you then it will work it out. Do you know if any gardening sites link to you?





2) Add a description meta-tag: Google uses this to rank you site.





3) Google looks for keywords on your page. So make sure you've got lots of words about book-design on the front page (although this seems to be the case already).





4) The keywords meta-tags won't make much difference to your ranking, but might help with gardening thing.





The first one will be the most important one in getting your site recognised properly.
Reply:Your website name includes the word cliff (rock gardens cliff designs etc..., and the website url in a search will cause the engine to look for the most populated sites with that word as well as mister. Gardeners use misters to water indoor gardens. So it is going solely on those terms..





Looking at your actually website you would want people to find it not based on your name but on what you specialize in. Your most used terms are tribal vision, and teh name cliff. If you are a book designer and want people to find you for that reason then use more related content on your home page and supporting pages that related to and include book, designer, cover, prolugue, photos, graphics, etc... A webite name could be book-designer.com etc...


No comments:

Post a Comment